As a non-profit organization, Discovery Cube relies on volunteer support to inspire future scientists and engineers. Volunteers provide person-to-person interaction with our guests in order to promote education through our exhibits. If you are over the age of 15 and would like to make an impact on your community, you have found the right place to volunteer!
The Cube has a strong and active group of teen volunteers who donate the majority of their time to us on weekends, the holidays, and in the summer. We are looking for volunteers who are outgoing, passionate, and enjoy working with the public. Teens are welcome to serve in the same positions as adults and do not need previous volunteer experience.
Discovery Cube is looking to grow our adult volunteer base. We need volunteers who are able to donate their time during the week as we see over 70,000 students a year on field trips. Tabletop and exhibit presentations run by volunteers make a huge difference in their experience and create a positive lasting impression. A teaching background is not required; we are simply looking for people who are outgoing and passionate about giving back to their community.
Discovery Cube offers group volunteer opportunities to high school, college, and corporate groups at our special events. To learn more about upcoming opportunities, contact the Volunteer Department at 818-686.2835 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide us with group leader information (name, phone number, e-mail, school and club name) and you’ll be asked to confirm the number of volunteers in your group two weeks before the event date.
Who Can Apply to Become a Volunteer?
All volunteers have to be at least 15 years of age. All applicants 18 and over will have to submit to a background check. Unfortunately, we cannot accept volunteers who are serving community service hours due to a crime or diversion program.
Things to Consider
There are a few things you should know before you start the application process to join Discovery Cube Los Angeles’ volunteer family.
- Make sure to scroll down and check for paperwork deadlines. A complete application must be received before an interview date can be scheduled.
- The complete application process includes an online form, a resume, a letter of recommendation if you under 18, and an interview.
- Applications are held on file for 3 months from the date the online form is submitted.
- If you are 14, you may start the application process one month before your 15th birthday.
- Volunteers are required to complete 60 hours before any documentation or verification will be provided
- Volunteers over the age 18 will need to submit to a Live Scan (background check)
- Volunteers need to adhere to all of Discovery Cube’s policies and procedures including the appearance and dress code guidelines
- We know that you may have a lot of questions—we will be happy to answer them for you via email, phone, or during your interview.
Appearance and Dress Code Guidelines
- Close toe black or brown shoes
- No visible tattoos or facial piercings
- Full length black pants (no jeans or denim, no tight fitting pants or extremely loose-fitting pants)
How to Apply
If you are ready to begin your journey to becoming a Discovery Cube LA volunteer, you can start the application process now!
Step 1. Fill out our easy online application: Teen Volunteer Application / Adult Volunteer Application
Step 2. Tell us how awesome you are! Teen volunteer applicants are required to submit a resume and a letter of recommendation. Adult volunteers are required to submit a resume.
Your resume can include classes you have taken, activities that you are involved in, hobbies, grades, or anything else that you would like to share with us. Your letter of recommendation should come from someone that you have worked with in a professional manner such as teachers, coaches, religious leaders, personal mentors, or previous supervisors. We do not accept letters from friends or family members.
In order to secure an interview you will need to submit all your required paperwork to us ahead of time. Your resume and letter of recommendation must be mailed to us; post marked by the deadline to be considered for the following interview session. Please mail your paper work to the address below.
Discovery Cube Los Angeles
Attn: LA Volunteer Application
2500 N. Main Street
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Step 3. You’re almost there. We would like to meet you in person! Once your online application is completed and all of your required paper work is submitted, we will reach out to you for an interview.
Step 4. This is it! During your interview, you will find out a little bit about our organization, what volunteers do, and what our expectations are. This is also a good time to ask any questions that you might have. Good Luck and we hope to see you there!
If you have any questions during the application process, please feel free to email us at email@example.com or call us at 818-686.2835. Visit our Volunteering FAQ to learn more!
January New Volunteer Dates
January 22 – Interview Session (by appointment only)
January 29 – Volunteer Orientation (by appointment only)