The Science of Gingerbread
The sweetest season at the Cube returns this winter. The Science of Gingerbread is the Discovery Cube’s annual holiday tradition that runs from November 29th to January 5th, 2020. Join us for Southern California’s largest Gingerbread Competition and Display. We’re accepting gingerbread structures November 23rd through December 8th at both campuses.
Benefits of participating in the competition:
- Enter for the chance to place and win a one-of-a-kind prize.
- Practice your engineering, math, and creativity skills.
- Get invited to an after hours awards ceremony where winners will be announced.
- Design, bake, and build with your family, co-workers, or friends!
Download entry form and contest rules here.
The Science of Gingerbread daily program includes:
- Can You Build it? Show: Using only wooden building blocks, families are invited to build and compete together in a variety challenges.
- Gingerbread Man Escape: Families and kids help the Gingerbread Man run, run as fast as he can by designing, building, and testing his escape vehicle.
- Design a Food Model: Kids practice the engineering design process by inventing and designing their own food model.
- Cookie Decorating: Kids learn about primary and secondary colors as they mix their own colored frosting and decorate their own sugar cookies.
- Tallest Tower Challenge: Families use only spaghetti and marshmallows to build the tallest tower. (Weekends only)
*Activities, times and dates subject to change without notice.
Discovery Cube LA’s 2018 Competition Winners are:
Best Youth Ages 5 and Under: #36 Santa’s Zoo
Best Youth Ages 6-13: #33 Franken Gingerbread
Best by a Classroom or School: #55 From Waste to Classroom
Best Holiday Theme: #19 Esai’s Magickel Countdown Apartment
Best by a Cube Member: #7 Joy to the World!
Best by an Organization: #30 Space Station on the Moon!
Best Science Theme: #45 The Three States of Gingerbread
Best by a Youth Group: #26 Winter Wonderland at Ability First
Director’s Award: #60 San Francisco